Saturday, October 24, 2009

Best Content Management System for a Sports Site?

In a previous question, I simply asked what scripting language is best for me as I am extremely naive to anything beyond HTML. I got a couple of good answers, including a recommendation to use a CMS. It definitely looks nice.



Basically, I want to create a very simple (yet comprehensive) database for the New Jersey Devils players. It will be an entirely stat-driven site, it doesn%26#039;t even have to look remotely pretty. I just want people to be able to click around and get stats, sort stats, etc. I can do it in HTML, but that%26#039;d take me forever and it will be clunky. I want to be able to enter numbers into a database, call it from the webpage, and move on to the next guy.



In the past 12 hours, I%26#039;ve really picked up the basics of SQL (web host%26#039;s interface makes it real simple) and how to make basic queries from PHP. I can%26#039;t believe I am saying this about code, but it is exciting stuff.



Best Content Management System for a Sports Site?





Mambo is quite old now though, you might want to try something like Joomla! [ http://www.joomla.com ]. If you%26#039;re stuck visit OpensourceCMS [ http://www.opensourcecms.com ] to try some systems out.



Best Content Management System for a Sports Site?



http://www.mamboserver.com/ i found this very simple and easy to use you will have to find your own skin tho!



Other Replys:If you only want to display a certain kind of data I would say the best way is to code the stuff yourself using PHP, you won%26#039;t need a full CMS for just that.



If you want a CMS as well, I would recommend CMSMS. You can design your website however you choose and you can still link in your own PHP scripts, if you want.



Other Replys:I%26#039;ve tried a few Content Management Systems. The one I%26#039;d recommend is Joomla.



DotNetNuke is too slow, Mambo is old and has been pretty well superceded by Joomla. The other great thing is Joomla has some great extensions. I expect one of the forms extensions may give you some of what you need or one of the %26quot;anything goes%26quot; extensions like Jumi

No comments:

Post a Comment